- Preheat oven to 190/375/5
- Butter your ramekin and pour in a tablespoon of cream, if using. Break your egg into the ramekin. Dot with butter.
- Place into a deep oven proof tin or dish and pour in the boiled water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekin.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes depending how well cooked you like your eggs.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve with buttered soldiers
You can also sprinkle with grated cheese or bury a number of different ingredients under the egg - chopped ham, smoked salmon or other fish, asparagus, chopped tomato, cooked mushrooms. . .