Thursday 4 March 2010

Flan aux Raisins


I bought some bad grapes yesterday. I should have tried one in the shop (is that shop-lifting? I never know. I suppose you wouldn't take a bite from an apple or banana before buying, so why does it seem okay to try a grape?). Anyway, I took a chance and it didn't pay off. So here am I with a pound of the sourest grapes that nobody in the house will touch, maybe if I hide them in a Grape Flan.....

Flan aux Raisins
serves six
For the pastry
200g Plain Flour
125g Butter
1 Egg
A Little Cold Water

For the filling
125g Green Grapes
125g Black Grapes
2 Medium Eggs
100g Caster Sugar
3 Tablespoons Ground Almonds
100ml Double Cream
25g Flaked Almonds (not in photo as I didn't have any!)
25cm Flan Tin with loose base, (buttered & floured)

  • Preheat oven to 230 C/450 F/Gas 8.
  • Put flour into food processor, cut butter into small pieces and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs (or rub in by hand). Add the egg and a little cold water, process again until a ball forms. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes then roll out thinly and line the flan tin, chill again for another 30 minutes.
  • Wash, pick through and thoroughly dry the grapes, arrange over the pastry base.
  • Beat the eggs and caster sugar together until pale and thick, beat in the ground almonds and then the cream. Pour over grapes and sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for 20 minutes. reduce heat to 200 C/400 F/Gas 6 and bake for a further 20 minutes.
  • If the surface is browning too quickly place a sheet of foil over the top. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment