Saturday 23 January 2010

Salmon Escalopes in Champagne Sauce


A long time ago, before Rick Stein was invented, I was lucky enough to eat at his Seafood Restaurant. I remember the plates were huge (or maybe I was just smaller then?) and the food, of course, was simple and very delicious. The Salmon dish I chose was unlike anything I had ever eaten before and it had a huge effect on me.

Before we left I bought a copy of the chef's new book, my only regret is I didn't have the balls to ask him to sign it for me!



SALMON ESCALOPES IN CHAMPAGNE & CHIVE SAUCE

(Rick Stein)
Serves 4

750g/1.5 lb Salmon Fillet

Sunflower Oil

Salt

25g/1oz Butter

1 Small shallot

100ml Champagne

1 Pint Fish Stock

100ml Double Cream

Fresh Chives

Caster sugar

  • Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently soften the chopped shallot. Add the Champagne and boil for a couple of minutes, add the sugar and stock. Reduce by about three quarters.
  • Add the cream and boil until thickened.
  • Take your salmon fillet and place, skin side down, on a chopping board. Remove any bones with tweezers or fine pliers.
  • You want to slice the fillet at a slant, about a 45 degree angle, towards the skin. You need about three slices per person so you are aiming for twelve equal slices.
  • Brush each Escalope with a little sunflower oil, season lightly with salt and place on an oiled baking tray.
  • Preheat the grill to it's highest setting. Warm four (huge) plates. Warm the sauce and stir in 2tsp finely chopped chives (more or less to suit your taste)
  • Place the salmon under the grill for a minute to cook through and transfer to the warmed plates.
  • Bring the sauce to a boil, stir in a knob of butter and spoon over the fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment